Assistant Director for Legal Recruitment
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
This month WALRAA is proud to feature Rachel Lawrence! Rachel is the Assistant Director for Legal Recruitment at the Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law. She joined WALRAA last year in 2022. Read about her experience working in the career services at a law school, her fun summer plans and more in her own words below.
1. How long have you been a member of WALRAA? What has been your favorite experience so far?
I have been a member since 2022, and heard great things about it years before. There have been so many great experiences! Most recently the April Virtual Fireside Chat with Ritu Bhasin. It was incredibly uplifting and inspiring!
2. How has WALRAA helped you in your field?
WALRAA provides an important network of information-sharing between law school and law school, and law schools and firms. And the community makes the work that much more enjoyable!
3. How did you first learn about and get started in Attorney Recruiting/Career Services?
I have worn many hats at the law school and feel lucky to have found a home with career services! I love helping students and connecting with the outside legal community!
4. What is your favorite moment of your career so far?
My favorite moment in my career so far has been sitting down with and listening to students. It is a joyful experience to help them feel heard and to increase their confidence to take the next steps toward their desired path.
5. What is it that challenges you most in your job?
Time! There is always so much to do! I appreciate tips to work smart while retaining a work life balance. Our career office and law school are very supportive - everyone pitches in when needed!
6. How do you balance your career and personal life?
Our office and law school offer a lot of flexibility, which is amazing! Our career office supports each other in getting the work done and being present for students, and also having time outside of the office for telework and time with family and friends.
7. What professional goals have you set for yourself this year?
I am excited to take on a more formal role in counseling students.
8. What is the best professional advice you have received?
We all make mistakes and it is important not to internalize them and to move forward productively.
9. What do you like to do for fun?
I love being active: walking or jogging with friends, playing soccer with my kids, and dancing! I am taking a trampoline class this summer!
10. Tell us something about yourself that most people don’t know?
I worked in Ireland after college for six months!